Final preparations for your move
We know that preparing to move house can be extremely stressful, that’s why we offer a Smooth Move service. Our removal experts are on hand to offer everything from packing and moving, to unpacking and hanging pictures. If you’d like to read more about this service, visit our Smooth Move page.
The day before moving
Confirm all the arrangements made with the removals firm (or friends and family helping you move). Also:
- Sort out any potential parking problems – if you're using a removal company, you may need to contact your local authority to help with parking bay suspensions to gain easier access to your property, and let your neighbours know that there may be parking issues.
- Cancel any deliveries
- Arrange for a plumber/electrician to disconnect relevant appliances (ask your Professional Advisor/Sales Consultant, as they may have a reliable local business to use)
- Make arrangements for pets - you can bring your pet with you to your new apartment!
- Clean the house, empty the fridge/freezer, and remove and fixtures and fittings not included in the sale
- Confirm with your Professional Advisor/Sales Consultant when you’ll have access to your new home – typically this will be in the afternoon to allow funds to clear.
On your moving day, you'll need to check contracts are signed and the balance of the purchase has been paid so that legal completion has successfully taken place by calling your legal advisor.
Upon leaving your property, make sure that you turn off central heating, water, electricity etc, and note down all gas, electricity and water meter readings. Lock all windows and doors and arrange for the keys to be left with the estate agent/part exchange company for the new owners.
Finally, meet with your Customer Support Executive/Sales Executive who will be there to give you your keys and see you into your new McCarthy & Stone apartment.
Plus, if you need extra help planning and organising your move, we offer a concierge service. One of our expert advisors will visit you at home to help you work out every detail in advance. They’ll help you declutter, plan how your furniture will fit in your new home. We’ll donate any unwanted items to charity, and can even provide you with free stickers to help organise your things.