Shared Ownership: you can enjoy retirement living to the  full - without paying in full

With Shared Ownership you can have the lifestyle you’ve dreamed of without paying the full price for your new retirement home. For example, on participating properties you can pay just 75% of the full value with no rent to pay on the rest*.

After a lifetime of looking after others, it’s your time now.

It’s not charity, it’s not a handout, it’s just what you deserve to help you make the most of your retirement.

Shared Ownership with McCarthy Stone and Homes England

What is Shared Ownership?

Our Shared Ownership scheme is run in conjunction with Homes England. They regulate Shared Ownership by monitoring rental charges and fees for the homes within the portfolio.

It means you can purchase up to 75% of the value of a retirement property - and if you own 75%, there is no rent to pay on the remaining 25%. If you buy 50% of the value of the property, you pay rent on the outstanding share.

The benefits of shared ownership housing

  • It provides you an affordable way to buy one of our retirement properties.
  • You can enjoy the McCarthy Stone lifestyle without paying the full purchase price.
  • Buying a percentage share of your retirement home allows you to manage your finances to cater for future needs.
  • If you buy 75% of the value of the property, there’s no rent to pay on the outstanding share.
  • You can claim up to £500 a year to help with essential repairs in the first 10 years**. 
Shared Ownership retirement properties for the over 60s

Download our Shared Ownership Guide

I'm interested! How do I qualify?

To apply for the Homes England Shared Ownership scheme you need to:

  • Check that the McCarthy Stone development in your area is offering the scheme.
  • Meet the age-criteria for your chosen McCarthy Stone development.
  • Have an annual household income of £80,000 per year or less.
  • Only own one property, after buying this new one.

What happens next?

  1. Our friendly sales team will take you through the sales process and as part of this, they will check you meet the initial criteria for the Shared Ownership scheme.
  2. If you meet the initial criteria for the Shared Ownership scheme, you will be referred to an Independent Advisor who will carry out a full financial assessment to ensure Shared Ownership is right for you. 
  3. When everything is approved, we can confirm your reservation and help you secure your property
  4. It shouldn’t take too long before you are relaxing in your McCarthy Stone home.

The Housing Ombudsman Service

Read about the Housing Ombudsman Service.

The Housing Ombudsman Service logo

* Other shares available, with monthly rent. Qualifying criteria apply. Shared Ownership is available on selected apartments at participating developments only. Not available with Part Exchange.

**This covers items in the home that supply water and electricity such as basins, baths, toilets and also cables, but not fixtures, or appliances such as ovens or washing machines. Pipes and drainage items for heating and hot water are also included.