Shared Ownership allows you to buy part of your home and pay rent on the rest, so you can move in and enjoy the benefits of the McCarthy Stone lifestyle without committing to outright purchase. It also allows you to manage your finances for possible future needs.
Shared Ownership is run in conjunction with Homes England, our government approved partner. With this scheme, you can purchase up to 75% of the value of your property – and if you own 75%, you won’t pay any rent on the outstanding 25% share.
The benefits of shared ownership
- It provides you an affordable way to buy one of our retirement properties.
- You can enjoy the McCarthy Stone lifestyle without paying the full purchase price.
- Buying a percentage share of the property allows you to manage your finances to cater for possible future needs.
- If you buy 75% of the value of the property, there is no rent to pay on the outstanding share.
- You could claim up to £500 a year to help with essential repairs in the first 10 years.
I'm interested! How do I qualify?
To apply for the Homes England Shared Ownership scheme you need to:
- Check that the McCarthy Stone development in your area is offering the scheme.
- Meet the age-criteria for your chosen McCarthy Stone development.
- Have an annual household income of £80,000 per year or less.
- Only own one property, after buying this new one.
What happens next?
- Our friendly sales team will take you through the sales process and as part of this, they will check you meet the initial criteria for the Shared Ownership scheme.
- If this initial check looks okay, we will help you register with a Help to Buy Agent, who will process your application.
- Once your Help to Buy application is approved, you will be referred to an independent advisor who will carry out a full financial assessment to ensure Shared Ownership is right for you.
- When everything is approved, we can confirm your reservation and help you secure your property
- It shouldn’t take too long before you are relaxing in your McCarthy Stone home.