Homes adapted for the elderly
McCarthy Stone retirement homes are beautifully designed and packed with clever home adaptations for the elderly to make life easier as you get older. Read on:
Home adaptations, accessibility and hidden care built in
Our retirement properties are specifically designed so you can live in style and comfort, while feeling safe, secure and supported. Clever ergonomics, home adaptations for the elderly and hidden care mean that life is that bit easier if you develop things like arthritis, hearing loss or mobility issues.
With our retirement flats you are less likely to have to move if your situation changes. For example, the space is easy to get around if you use a walking aid and is easily adapted to wheelchair users if your mobility needs change further.
Our retirement flats offer these home adaptations and support services as standard:
- Slip-resistant flooring in the bathrooms
- Taps that are carefully chosen to look great but are easy to use and helpful for people with arthritis
- Slightly raised ‘comfort height’ toilets for ease of use
- Bathrooms that are easily adaptable to wheelchair users
- Waist-height ovens so there is less need to bend with heavy dishes
- Plug sockets that are just a bit higher to reduce kneeling and bending
- Hearing loops in our Retirement Living PLUS apartments for a more pleasurable television experience for hearing aid users
- Digital personal alarms connected to emergency assistance 24/7
- TV entry cameras so you can see who it is before you answer the door and you can let your visitors in easily
- Integrated fire and security alarms that are monitored 24/7
- Integrated ultra efficient heating, water heating and heat recovery units as well as super insulation to ensure apartments are warm and toasty in winter and cool in summer – while saving you money on energy bills.
- Sky Q connection point in the living room for hassle-free TV
- Our handyperson service will help you to put pictures and shelves up etc.
- Pets are welcome
- Many properties have balconies or private patios
- Our Smooth Move service makes it easier for you to move in – offering help with decluttering, packing and unpacking and more
The care and support continues into our community spaces
The communal spaces in our retirement developments are thoughtfully designed with additional services for your peace of mind:
- Shorter staircases – in our newest developments the staircases only have a maximum of 12 steps before a landing – so there’s always a place for a breather!
- All developments have lifts as standard
- Non-tip chairs in the communal lounges
- Different heights and types of chairs in the lounge – so you can find one that is just right for you
- Super-insulation ensures communal spaces are cosy in winter
- Television and free Wi-Fi in the lounge
- Events, clubs and parties that bring the community together
- Fully maintained gardens for you to enjoy – some have garden sheds and space for gardeners to potter
- Solar panels on the roof keep communal energy bills down
- Mobility scooter room with charging facilities
- On-site parking available – some sites offer electric charging points
- All exterior/roof maintenance taken care of
- An on-site hotel-style guest suite makes having people to stay a breeze
- An on-site House Manager looks after the development and supports you with any queries and concerns – and also helps to run events and clubs that bring the community together.
Retirement Living PLUS
Our assisted living developments for the over 70s offer additional facilities for an even easier life:
- A subsidised on-site restaurant with delicious and nutritious meals available daily
- A manager on-site 24/7 for added peace of mind
- An hour’s domestic support is included but you also have access to additional domestic, laundry and personal care services to help you to live independently and with fewer chores
- Wellness suites* – so you’ll have hair and beauty services on-site
- Some have added facilities like bowling greens, exercise studios or hobby rooms*
A gorgeous home you’ll love to live in
Of course, none of these home adaptations and innovations compromise the stunning contemporary design of your home.
Matt Richardson, Group Design and Development Director explains, “Our philosophy is ‘Keep it simple, keep it standard and make it beautiful’. These things are all important. It has to be easy to live in and maintain, it has to meet - or exceed - building standards for quality and safety, and it has to be a great apartment, which looks fantastic and that people are proud to live in and want to show off to their friends.”
Find a forever retirement home with McCarthy Stone
From independent living retirement flats to retirement bungalows or cottages in retirement villages, our lovely properties in stunning locations are thoughtfully designed so you can make the most of your retirement whether you’re just over 60 or heading for 100 – and you’ll have a lively and friendly community of new friends and neighbours on the doorstep too.
Search for a retirement home near you today, get in touch online or call our team on 0800 201 4811 for more information. *Select developments only