Help to sell your retirement property quickly
Follow our McCarthy Stone Resales team’s expert guide on how to sell your retirement flat and you’ll be equipped with the knowledge and insights you need to resell successfully. Please get in touch if you have any questions not answered below.
What happens when I need to sell my McCarthy Stone retirement property?
When the time comes to sell your McCarthy Stone retirement property, our McCarthy Stone Resales team can help.
McCarthy Stone Resales is our own specialist estate agency for selling and buying pre-owned McCarthy Stone properties. The Resales team connects sellers with potential buyers and offers expert guidance throughout. Alternatively you can instruct your own estate agency to sell your retirement flat.
How much notice do I have to give McCarthy Stone if I want to sell my retirement property?
None. If you decide to sell your retirement flat you don’t need to give any notice to McCarthy Stone.
However, anyone wishing to buy the property needs to meet McCarthy Stone’s eligibility criteria, for example, they have to be the right age and be able to afford the ongoing costs.
How do I start selling my McCarthy Stone retirement property?
If you instruct McCarthy Stone Resales to sell your retirement apartment, our team of experts will get the property on the market within a few days.
They will put together a sales pack for your retirement home, including professional photos, detailed floor plans and location maps. This is shared with our database of interested buyers and promoted online through property websites like Rightmove, as well as on our Resales website.
Do I have to sell my retirement property through McCarthy Stone Resales?
No. It is up to you how you sell your retirement housing and which estate agent you use. However, McCarthy Stone Resales are the specialists in selling not only our retirement properties but also the unique McCarthy Stone retirement community, lifestyle and services.
The benefits of using McCarthy Stone Resales
There are several benefits of using McCarthy Stone Resales when selling your McCarthy Stone retirement property. These benefits make selling smoother and are tailored to the unique needs of buyers interested in retirement living. Some key advantages include:
- Specialist knowledge of, and a passion for, McCarthy Stone Retirement Living and Retirement Living PLUS
- All viewings have a House/ Estates Manager or a McCarthy Stone Resales Consultant present to fully explain the lifestyle, services, and benefits
- Professional sales materials including photography, floor plans and location maps
- Online advertising via our McCarthy Stone Resales website and our property partners such as Rightmove
- Targeted marketing to our large database of interested buyers
- Support with finding solicitors and specialist removal firms to help make moving out as smooth as possible
- Free and confidential entitlements advice is available to all buyers which may help them to cover costs
- Potential buyers enjoy a number of incentives including a Part Exchange scheme and preferential rates for removals and legal services
Are retirement flats harder to sell than regular flats?
As with selling any home, it’s difficult to accurately estimate how long a retirement property will take to sell. It depends on a variety of factors, including the condition of the property, the type of retirement apartment for sale, its location, its price and current market conditions. However, because the property has an age restriction it can take longer to sell than a property with no restrictions.
If you’re looking for a pre-owned retirement property in the UK, McCarthy Stone Resales is generally the first point of call.
We have built a substantial database of eligible buyers and our wealth of experience and tailored approach to selling and marketing our retirement properties also helps to achieve sales efficiently.
How to sell my McCarthy Stone retirement flat quickly?
Preparing your McCarthy Stone retirement flat for sale is a crucial step, as it can significantly impact the speed and success of your sale. These are our top tips for preparing your retirement flat for sale:
- Declutter - Get rid of knickknacks and clutter for a minimalist feel. This helps viewers envisage themselves living in the property. Consider replacing bulky furniture with smaller alternatives to make a space feel bigger.
- Give it a fresh lick of paint - It’s amazing what a difference new paint can make. Light, neutral colours help the property seem brighter and bigger.
- Fix and clean - Make minor repairs, e.g. fix leaking taps or replace threadbare carpets. Clean everything until it sparkles – this will make the property more appealing and ready for your buyer to move into.
- Make sure it smells good - Bad smells are a big turn-off for potential buyers but are easily fixed. In vacant properties stagnant water can pong, so ensure the toilet is flushed and the windows are opened regularly to keep it smelling fresh.
- Keep it in tip-top shape - It’s important your property looks its best at all times. If your flat is vacant and you don’t live nearby, ask your House/Estates Manager to check the property on a regular basis, especially before a viewing takes place.
Is the resale value of my retirement property likely to be significantly less than the price I paid?
Our in-house McCarthy Stone Resales team achieves a net price increase on average for the properties they resell. For example, for properties bought new in the last three years and since resold, the net increase averages 7%.
We urge customers to use our expert resale service rather than high street estate agents because they don’t always fully understand or properly value retirement properties.
It’s also important to consider that the value of retirement living is also not just in the price. Our retirement communities create healthier and happier lives for our homeowners, reducing the challenges they face as they age.
Nine out of ten homeowners say we improve their quality of life. With energy savings and more our retirement apartments are typically much cheaper to run than their previous home and much cheaper than care homes.
What are the costs involved with selling a retirement property?
Selling a retirement property, whether it's a McCarthy Stone flat or any other type of retirement housing, typically involves specific costs. These costs vary depending on factors such as the property's value, location, and the specific services you use.
To help you navigate this process, we've compiled a set of common questions about the costs involved with selling a retirement property.
Do full-service charges need to be paid if the retirement housing is on the market and empty?
Yes, they do. If the homeowner has moved out, or sadly passed away, all service charges still need to be paid. This is because the service charges cover all the ongoing staffing and upkeep costs of the development, which continue even if the apartment is uninhabited.
How much does it cost to extend a leasehold?
All developments released for sale from August 2015 have 999-year leases. A small number of developments may have shorter leases if we have not acquired the freehold of the site, but this will be explained to you before you purchase.
For developments released for sale prior to August 2015, leases are typically for 125 years. You can find out further information on extending these from the Leasehold Advisory Service.
Will I be charged an exit fee?
McCarthy Stone is proud to be one of the few retirement companies not to charge exit fees for profit. However, we do charge a 1% sinking fund contribution (known as the contingency fee), which is paid on resale. This is held in trust for the long-term benefit of the development and homeowners.
If you’re interested in finding out more about how to sell your retirement apartment, or about buying a McCarthy Stone retirement home, then please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Discover the McCarthy Stone retirement living lifestyle
McCarthy Stone’s stunning retirement homes provide the perfect place to relax, enjoy life and meet new people with the peace of mind of help on hand should you need it.
With options in sought-after locations across the UK, from our retirement villages with bungalows to independent living in a luxurious Retirement Living apartment or the added reassurance of Retirement Living PLUS, you’re bound to find the right property for your retirement dreams.