Lemon and thyme pear tart with apricot glaze recipe
Delicate, fragrant, flavourful and very pretty to look at, this pear tart recipe is perfect for parties and picnics.
For the tart
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 small Williams pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. apricot jam
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, torn into small pieces
- Heat oven to 180 C
- Lightly coat 14” by 4” tart tray, preferably with a removable bottom, with non-stick cooking spray or butter.
- Grate 1/2 teaspoon of zest from the lemon and squeeze one tablespoon juice. Set the juice aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer on a medium speed to beat the butter and 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy – this should take about 3 minutes (you can also do this by hand). Reduce speed and beat in the egg.
- Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until incorporated (dough will be very soft). Transfer dough to prepared tart tray. With floured fingers, push dough evenly into bottom and up the sides of pan.
- Arrange pear halves, cut sides down, alternating top-to-bottom. Sprinkle with cinnamon, ginger and the remaining one tablespoon sugar.
- Bake 55 to 65 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let it cool on the wire rack.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine the apricot jam and lemon juice. Microwave for 30 seconds or until bubbling. (You can also do this in a saucepan on the hob). Mix to combine. Brush gently over entire tart. Sprinkle with thyme to serve.