This traditional mincemeat recipe from a McCarthy Stone homeowner is a must for Christmas and perfect for homemade mince pies. It’s also economical and as it uses vegetable suet it is a vegetarian mincemeat recipe too.
- 12 oz/350g raisins
- 7 oz/200g cut mixed peel
- 1 lb/500g sultanas
- 8 oz/240g shredded vegetable suet
- 12 oz/350g soft brown sugar
- 6 teaspoons mixed spice
- Grated rind and juice of one orange
- 1 lb/500g finely chopped Bramley apples
- 1/4 pint/150 ml brandy
- You’ll need 4-6 sterilised jam jars.
- You can sterilise by washing in hot soapy water and then heating in the oven at 100 degrees C for about 10 minutes.
- Mix together dry ingredients in LARGE mixing bowl.
- Add finely chopped apples, orange zest and juice, and brandy.
- Mix well.
- Leave in the bowl and cover securely with cling film.
- Stir every day for a week.
- Fill the sterilised jars - press down firmly to exclude air and add a little brandy to each jar if necessary.
- Keep in the fridge (where it will keep for 2 or 3 years).