Spooky Gravestone Brownies
With a ‘secret’ ingredient of blood red beetroot these spooktacular chocolate creations make a terribly tasty Halloween treat – and are practically one of your five a day!
- 140g butter
- 3 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 70g plain flour
- 5g baking powder
- 65g cocoa powder
- 5ml vanilla essence
- 100g raw beetroot
- 50g icing sugar
- 50ml silver food spray
- Line the bottom of an applicable baking tin with parchment paper
- Beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy
- Whisk your eggs and then slowly add them along with vanilla essence making sure the mixture doesn't split
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder and fold into the mixture
- Peel and grate the beetroot and add to the mixture folding gently
- Spread the mixture into your lined tin
- Bake at 180c for approx. 25-35 minutes
- Cool and chill to fridge temperature, then portion into 9 equal rectangles to resemble gravestones
- Spray with the silver food spray and allow to dry
- Make up the icing sugar with just enough water to enable piping then to write R.I.P on each spooky gravestone or create your own design - go batty with cats, pumpkins or skeletons!
Recipe from Tony Lones, Senior Craft and Development Chef at Radish
Tony Lones is a 2020 finalist at the prestigious B&I StrEAT Food Awards – he also reached the finals last year. He became passionate about food after working on a fruit and vegetable stall while waiting for his exam results. He says, “I became more interested in food than my career choice, which was electronic engineering!"
Radish are one of our brilliant catering partners and manage bistros at some of our Retirement Living PLUS developments.