Valentine's Day Red Velvet Cupcakes
Give in to temptation with this decadent recipe for Valentine’s Day Red Velvet cupcakes.
For the cakes
- 100g butter
- 150g caster sugar
- 125g self-raising flour
- 25g cocoa powder
- 2 free range eggs 2
- 30 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 10 ml red natural food colouring gel
For the cream cheese topping
- 25g butter
- 100g full fat cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 3 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan
- Weigh out all your ingredients for both stages and allow your butter to soften to room temperature.
- In a food mixer, cream together the butter and the sugar.
- Sieve the cocoa powder and flour together.
- Whisk the eggs.
- Once the butter and sugar has gone pale and creamy, fold in a little of the egg mixture followed by the flour mixture. Alternate until everything is combined. Do not whisk at this stage or you will knock out all the air you have incorporated.
- This mixture will make 9-10 cupcakes or 6 x 90g flowerpot muffins.
- Once you have filled your cases, placed into your muffin tins then bake at 160°C for 20-25 minutes until the cakes spring back once gently pressed.
- To make your frosting: measure the ingredients into a food processor and whizz until smooth or beat together by hand.
- Fill a piping bag with the frosting to halfway (If you overfill it is difficult to control your piping) and pipe on to the cooled cupcakes. Alternatively, add the frosting to the cakes using a teaspoon, spreading it over the top of each cupcake. Dust with cocoa powder to serve, or alternatively garnish with fresh berries, love heart sweets or romantically themed sprinkles!