Gluten-free Brandy Snaps Recipe
Victoria Hall's delicious gluten-free brandy snaps - perfect with ice cream and no culinary magic needed to make!
- <h3>Ingredients</h3><ul> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">50g unsalted butter</li> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">50 g golden syrup</li> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">50 g soft light brown sugar</li> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">60g plain all-purpose gluten-free flour</li> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">1/2 tsp ground ginger</li> <li itemprop="recipeIngredient">1/4 tsp xanthan gum</li> </ul> <p>You will need: a baking sheet lined with baking parchment or a silicone baking sheet and a rolling implement – a miniature rolling pin or a wooden spoon with a thick handle work nicely – oiled</p> <div></div> <p> </p>
- Melt the butter, golden syrup and sugar in a pan over a low heat or in 10-second bursts in the microwave. Stir together until the sugar is dissolved. Beat in the flour, ginger and xanthan gum using a wooden spoon or in a free-standing mixer with the paddle attachment until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow to cool. Transfer to the fridge and chill completely until firm (for 2 to 3 hours or overnight).
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F) Gas 5.
- Take a heaped teaspoon of the chilled biscuit dough and roll into a ball. Repeat so you have four balls; place on the lined baking sheet, spaced well apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 6–8 minutes. The mixture will flatten, become lace-like and darken to a caramel-brown colour.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and place on a flat surface. Allow to cool for 1–2 minutes, then, using a palette knife, lift the edge of a disc to check if they are firm enough to lift and shape.
- When the biscuit discs can be lifted without breaking, carefully roll one at a time around the oiled rolling pin or wooden-spoon handle. Press into position with the palm of your hand, overlapping the sides if possible. Allow to set for 30 seconds and then gently slide off and place on the work surface to cool completely.
- Repeat the shaping process for the remaining 3 discs. If they become too cool and brittle to shape, return the baking sheet to the oven for 15–20 seconds to soften them back up. Repeat the rolling, baking and shaping with the remaining mixture until it has all been used.
- Serve with ice cream or filled with whipped cream.