Gluten-free Bakewell Tart Recipe
Victoria Hall serves up a beautiful almond tart with a layer of raspberry jam - and it's completely gluten-free!
For the pastry
- 460g all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 225g unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 egg, beaten
For the frangipane
- 200g + 5 tbsps unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200g ground almonds
- 75g plain all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 150 g raspberry jam
- 2 tbsps flaked almonds
- pouring cream, to serve (optional)
- 23cm loose-bottomed tart pan greased with softened butter
- Put the dry pastry ingredients and cubed butter into a food processor and pulse until they reach a fine crumb consistency. Pour in the egg and 1–2 tsp of water and mix until completely combined. The mixture will start to come together. Use your hands, being sure to avoid the blade, to bring together the dough, then lightly knead on a lightly floured worksurface. Put the pastry ball onto a piece of clingfilm, press into a disc shape and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas 4.
- Lay a piece or overlapping pieces of clingfilm, larger than your tart pan, onto the work surface and lightly dust with flour. Put the pastry ball in the middle and gently press into a disc shape with your hands. Lay a second piece of clingfilm over the top and, with a rolling pin, roll out the pastry to a thickness of 5 mm in a roughly circular shape of around 30–35 cm in diameter. Lift off the top layer of clingfilm and, using the rolling pin to help lift it, lay the pastry over the pan, so that the remaining clingfilm is facing upwards. Gently lift and press the pastry into the pan, easing it into the corners. Then remove the clingfilm. Trim away the excess and if there are any cracks in the pastry, use the trimmings to patch them back together. Put the pastry case in the fridge while you make the filling.
- For the frangipane, in a large bowl and using a wooden spoon, or in a free-standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, ground almonds, flour, baking powder and almond extract (not essential, but it enhances the flavour if you have it). Mix well until combined.
- Take the pastry case from the fridge and cover the base with a generous layer of raspberry jam/jelly using the back of a spoon. Be sure not to cut through the base when spreading it out. Top with the frangipane filling and level with a spatula, sealing the edges of the tart case with the mixture so no jam is visible.
- Sprinkle the flaked almonds on top and bake, on a baking tray, in the preheated oven for 35–40 minutes until the filling is golden and set. Allow to cool completely in the pan before removing carefully and slicing. Serve with pouring cream if desired.