Chana Masala Curry
This vegan curry dish of aromatically spiced chickpeas is super tasty and packed with essential nutrients
For the curry
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- 2 onions
- 10g garlic paste
- 10g ginger paste
- 30ml rapeseed oil
- 0.5tsp chilli powder
- 0.5tsp ground coriander
- 0.5tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1tsp garam masala
- 1.5tsp amchoor powder (dried green mango)
- 250g salad tomatoes
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 10g fresh coriander including stalks
- Drain the chickpeas but do not wash them, put them into a pot, top with water and bring to the boil. Turn off immediately and leave to infuse
- Make the two pastes by peeling the ginger and garlic and the smashing on your board with a little salt until pureed.
- Pick your leaves from the stalks on the coriander and finely chop the stalks.
- Finely chop or mince the onions in a blender, warm the oil on a medium heat and then add the onions. Cook until they are soft and golden – this takes up to 20 minutes
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for a further five minutes.
- Now add the dried spices and cook for another 5 minutes stirring constantly (if the spices catch the sauce will be bitter), before adding the chopped tomatoes and diced fresh tomatoes. Pour in just enough of the chickpea water to allow the tomatoes to break down as they cook.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Throw in the chickpeas, chopped coriander stalks and any more liquid if needed, season with salt and pepper and cook for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with a little fresh yoghurt (or vegan alternative) and the washed coriander leaves, with some rice or nan bread on the side.