Asparagus and Cheese Tart
Make the most of Asparagus being in season in May with this very simply, yet delicious, vegetarian tart.
For the asparagus and cheese mixture
- 350g asparagus
- 400g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1 level tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 284 ml carton single cream
- salt and black pepper
For the pastry
- 50g soft butter
- 110g plain flour
- 25g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
- a pinch of salt
- Take each stalk in both hands and bend and snap off the woody end, then arrange the spears in a steamer and steam over simmering water for 4-5 minutes (just to half-cook them).
- Chop the spears into 1½ inch (4 cm) lengths and arrange them over the base of the pre-baked pastry case.
- Next, beat the eggs together with the cream and grated Cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper, then pour this mixture over the asparagus.
- Finally, sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Place the tart on the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes – until the centre feels firm and the filling is golden brown and puffy.