Mothers Day Lemon Tart Recipe
This Mother’s Day lemon tart recipe is fresh, sharp, but sweet, with restaurant good looks.
For the pastry
- 180g plain flour
- 90g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 90g cold unsalted butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
For the filling
- 275g caster sugar
- 4 large lemons
- 4 beaten eggs
- 300g unsalted diced butter
Preparation for the pastry
- Put the flour, sugar and salt on a food processor and pulse to combine.
- Beat the egg yolk and drizzle in. Pulse gently to combine then tip onto a floured surface and knead the pastry together.
- Chill for 2hrs
- Grease a 22cm tart tin, line with pastry and prick the bottom.
- Bake blind for approx 15mins with baking beans
- Beat the egg white and brush over the pastry.
- Return to the oven for 15mins until golden.
Preparation for the filling
- Combine the sugar and zest and juice of the lemons in a heatproof bowl.
- Stir in the eggs and stir over a Bain Marie of gently simmering water until it’s the consistency of lemon curd – about 20mins
- Leave to cool then beat in the butter until smooth
- Spoon the filling into the tart and leave to cool until set.