Mature cheddar and spinach quiche recipe
Buttery pastry filled with a tangy yet creamy cheese and spinach filling, this homemade quiche recipe is bound to be a crowd pleaser.
For the pastry
- 100g wholemeal Flour
- 175g plain flour
- 150g diced cold butter
- 2 large egg yolks
For the filling
- 30g butter
- 550g onions, very finely sliced
- 450g spinach
- 2 whole large eggs, plus 3 egg yolks
- 375ml double cream
- 20g grained mustard
- 150g grated mature cheddar
- To make the pastry, put both flours, the butter, and a good pinch of salt into a food processor and whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and a little ice-cold water, to bring the mixture into a ball. Shape into a thick disc, wrap in cling-film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter for the filling in a large thick-bottomed pan and gently cook the onions with a little salt until soft and golden, about 10 minutes stirring to prevent sticking. Then chill them.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or 170°C fan assisted. Roll out the pastry and line a loose-bottomed tart tin 27cm diameter or 20 x 28cm (keep any leftover bits of pastry). Chill for 20 minutes.
- Wash the spinach, plunge into a pot of boiling salted water for 30 seconds, remove and plunge into iced water for 30 seconds. Drain in a colander and then squeeze as much excess liquid out as you can.
- Line the pastry case with parchment paper, fill with baking beans or rice and blind-bake on the preheated tray for 20 minutes. Remove the beans and paper then brush with egg wash and cook for another minute or two to seal the inside of your casing. Remove from the oven and use any leftover raw pastry to patch any cracks if required.
- Roughly chop the spinach, season, and add to the onions. Mix the eggs, yolks, cream and mustard and season. Layer the onion, spinach, and grated cheese in the tart case, then pour on the cream mixture.
- Put back into the oven, on the baking sheet, for 30 minutes, until set in the middle and golden. Cool for 10-15 minutes and then remove from the casing to further cool on a wire rack.