How To Make The Perfect Scones
Learn how to cook the perfect scones with our easy and simple recipe! Check out how to enjoy these tasty treats here - top with jam and cream too!
For the scones
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 70g unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200ml whole milk
For the glaze
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tbsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /Gas Mark 6. Mix the flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Using your fingertips, lightly rub the butter into the flour, blending until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir through the sugar.
- Stir the lemon juice and vanilla into the milk, then pour into the flour and butter. Bring the dough together with your hands, kneading as lightly as possible until just combined. Pat out to a 2.5cm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Using a 6cm-diameter biscuit cutter, cut out 8-10 scones and place on a lightly floured baking sheet (re-roll any excess dough and cut out again).
- Glaze the top of each scone with the extra tablespoon of milk and sprinkle a little sugar over each. Bake for 18-20 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on a wire rack, then serve with clotted cream and strawberry jam.