Evelyn's Scottish Shortbread
Homeowner Evelyn Currie from Cartwright Court, Malvern shared this melt-in-the-mouth recipe for traditional shortbread, made with plenty of butter.
For the shortbread
- ½ lb (450g) butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan.
- Cream the butter and sugar well.
- Remove one tablespoon of flour and replace it with one tablespoon of cornflour.
- Add this to the butter/sugar mixture and mix quickly with your hands until it forms fine crumbs. The mix should hold together when squeezed but fall apart easily.
- Press evenly and firmly into an ungreased tin (9x12 inches/ 23 x30 cm).
- Prick all over with the tines of a fork and bake for 20-30 mins
- Cut into 2 inch /5 cm squares with a sharp knife as soon as you take out of the oven. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.