Tips for Staying Safe This Autumn
With coronavirus news and government rules evolving so quickly it can be hard to work out how best to protect ourselves. We’ve summarised the simple steps you can take to stay safer as the seasons change, with a roundup of advice from the NHS, gov.uk and MIND.
Simple steps to COVID-19 safety
Despite rule changes, local lockdowns and differences in advice across the countries of the UK, the core messages for protecting yourself against the virus remain the same: Wash your hands, cover your face, make space.
- Keep to the 2 metre rule when out and about – except with the people in your household or support bubble
- Avoid touching your mouth, eyes and nose before you’ve washed your hands
- Use soap and water to clean your hands – or hand sanitiser if it is the only available option
- Regularly wash your hands for at least 20 seconds – especially if you’ve been outside in public spaces
- Unless you are exempt, you must wear a face-covering in shops, on public transport, public places like museums and libraries, or if visiting a hospital. It may be a good idea to wear a face-covering in other enclosed spaces and busy outside spaces too
- Avoid areas with lots of people whenever you can
- Follow your healthcare professional’s advice or call 111 if you have any concerns or suspect you may have symptoms
7 ways to look after your health and wellbeing
Taking small positive steps to look after your physical and mental wellbeing can help you to cope in this strange time. Here are some things you can try.
- Exercise regularly
Did you know? Taking exercise outside in fresh air can boost your mood as well as your overall fitness levels, so (safely) make the most of bright autumnal days and local green spaces.
- If you are staying inside more often you may not be getting enough of the ‘sunshine’ vitamin D – consider taking a supplement to protect your muscles and bones
- Try to enjoy the benefits of being outside when inside as much as possible by finding a sunny spot to sit with a view of green space or sky. Houseplants also help to bring nature inside. If it is not too cold, open windows for a breath of fresh air
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
Include at least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day to make sure your body gets all the vitamins and minerals it needs to perform at its peak
- If you smoke now is a good time to try to quit – your GP/healthcare professional can help you
- If you are worried about your weight talk to your GP/healthcare professional about a healthy diet plan
- Stay connected with friends and family
- You are currently allowed to meet with up to 6 people at a time inside or out. A socially distanced meeting outside is thought to be a relatively low risk activity for most people, so consider wrapping up warm and enjoying an autumnal picnic in the park or invite people over for a coffee and chat in the garden
- If friends and family don’t live nearby make sure you still take time to connect. Video calls have boomed this year, but telephone calls, letters and cards can be just as good for keeping in touch
- Don’t keep things to yourself – if you find yourself worrying about coronavirus or anything else, opening up to friends and family can really help.
Thriving in a pandemic
McCarthy Stone create award-winning retirement properties for sale or for rent —our homeowners turn these developments into vibrant communities. This style of retirement living came into its own during the coronavirus crisis. Having a private retirement apartment allows our homeowners to protect themselves against the virus more easily while also being part of a sociable community with spacious shared gardens to enjoy (safely) and help on hand if they need it. Read more about safety and support during lockdown.
“I think the help and support during the coronavirus crisis has been remarkable McCarthy Stone have done an excellent job of keeping us safe.”
For more detailed advice on coronavirus and specific information about your area visit:https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus/
Information correct as of the 23rd September 2020