Top tips for packing when moving home
05 November 2013
Are you due to move home? Worried you’ll never get everything sorted in time or forget that one important thing? If so, have a look at our top tips to consider when moving home!
Ten top packing tips:
- Be organised as you can. Create a ‘to do’ list and keep important information together in a file. Once you have a moving date, plan by writing down what you need to do and when.
- Choose the right removal company. There are many different options depending on the size of your move. Look for BAR (British Association of Removers) registered movers or ask for recommendations from friends which should help put your mind at ease when someone else is handling your possessions. Obtain several quotes and go with the one you feel is best suited to you, rather than the cheapest. If you only have a small load and just want a man and van, again ask friends and family or your estate agent for recommendations.
- Start packing early. A lot of people can’t face starting what seems like such a huge job. Breaking it down into small sections will make it easier. Start off with the items and rooms you don’t use so often and maybe ornaments and decorative items.
- Bags. Utilise black sacks, suitcases, holdalls and any other bags you may have for soft unbreakable items such as clothes and bedding. It will take up less room in the van.
- Label your boxes clearly. This is something many people forget to do. Label every side of the box so you can clearly see what’s what when you turn up at your new property.
- Think about where your furniture will go. Again many people don’t give much thought as to where all there furniture will go in their new home (mainly as you’ll have had many other things on your mind). At McCarthy & Stone we provide floor plans with our property particulars, so use it to give yourself an idea of where you want everything to go; it will make moving day so much easier.
- Have some lunch ready. Most sale completions happen around lunchtime so make a packed lunch. You’ll need to keep your strength up for the afternoon.
- Cables. Like most of us nowadays we all have many devices and they tend to come with a lot of cables. To save the stress of trying to remember what goes where label or number each part to match one end to the other.
- Important boxes. Pack the kettle, tea, coffee and milk last and unpack it first! Put mobile phone chargers and other items you are likely need in the same box or bag so you know where they are. Keep valuables and important papers with you.
- Make your bed as soon as possible. You will be so happy to get in to a freshly made bed at the end of a long, tiring and stressful day.