Spring Clean with these 7 ways to declutter your home
02 March 2015
It's Spring cleaning time. To make things a little easier, we have 7 tips that will help you keep your house in tip-top shape any time of year. Embarking on a Spring clean is a tradition that allows us to freshen up our homes and get a head start on the hectic seasons of spring and summer.
It can feel like a daunting task, but with a little planning, it can be stress free…
Let’s face it, few of us relish the upheaval, all the organising and hassle of sorting out our belongings can be overwhelming. If you take it one step at a time, you will be amazed with what you can achieve. It can be hugely liberating.
7 ways to declutter
- Blitz that spare wardrobe. We all have a wardrobe or cupboard filled with clothes we haven’t worn in ages. Try to be firm with yourself, if it’s been over three years since you last wore something, it’s probably time for the charity shop.
- Pick one. A set of crockery and a spare set is enough – no one needs six. Ditch those mismatched plates, too.
- Get help. Invite family and friends around to help you make those difficult decisions on those bigger items like furniture, etc – they’ll often be happy to take some furniture or white goods off your hands.
- Sell large items. If you have any items that may be of value, ask a local auction house to give you an idea of how much you could for them. You could use the money you make to treat yourself to new soft furnishings.
- Recycle. Households in England throw away £435m in repairable goods each year. Many charities will pick up larger items to repurpose. Log onto www.furnituredonationnetwork.org, who can help you donate furniture to charities. The British Heart Foundation has a free furniture and electricals collection service. Call 0844 412 5000, ask at your local store or visit www.bhf.org.uk.
- Get shredding. We all keep lots of paper, so try to sift through old items you don’t want and put them in the recycling bin. Shred paper with personal information. Keep important documents in a lidded plastic crate for easy access when you move.
- Hire a skip. It’s worth it if you have a lot of rubbish. Remember this is a positive step, many people feel a huge weight lifted when they get rid of clutter.
We spend many years collecting items that clutter up our lives and cupboards, so go on enjoy your Spring clean.