Response to the Mail on Sunday article of 28 October 2012
29 October 2012
McCarthy & Stone recognises that current conditions in the housing market have made the sale of all types of properties difficult. However, the company firmly believes that its apartments represent a good long-term investment.
Research undertaken by McCarthy & Stone showed that more than two thirds of its resale properties were sold at a higher price, despite the recent uncertainties in the wider housing market. The Mail on Sunday article was inaccurate in this regard and did not provide a fair representation of resale prices across the country, instead focusing on just a handful of developments.
When customers purchase a property, they do so for a range of reasons and in many cases they choose McCarthy & Stone based on its reputation for providing the highest standards of accommodation, services and design to help them in later life.
To support owners and their families when they come to sell their apartment, McCarthy & Stone has also established its own estate agency business to manage the resale of its apartments. This in-house team is best-placed to help with the quick and efficient resale of McCarthy & Stone’s retirement apartments because:
1. It understands the nature of the retirement housing market – unlike high street estate agencies – and it is better able to demonstrate the benefits of retirement properties. Local estate agents aren’t always able to do this as they do not have the specialist knowledge to highlight the real benefits of the lifestyle available.
2. It has a dedicated, trained sales force with experience in demonstrating and selling its apartments.
3. As McCarthy & Stone has been established in this market for over 30 years, it has access to a database of people interested in purchasing a retirement property.
4. It actively markets previously-owned apartments as part of its national and local campaigns, from the internet to local and national advertising. It can also display new and resale properties side by side on McCarthy & Stone’s website.
5. Following a pilot launch of the resale estate agency on McCarthy & Stone’s selling developments, the resales team is now working towards expanding the service to those McCarthy & Stone developments that sold out some time ago.
McCarthy & Stone’s resales team is expanding quickly and will have national coverage by early 2013. The aim is to offer this service on all McCarthy & Stone developments. By 2015, resales are expected to total more than 1,500 apartments.
In independent customer satisfaction surveys carried out by the Home Builders Federation, McCarthy & Stone has been awarded the highest accolade of five stars for seven years running – it is the only UK house builder to have achieved this.
Should customers have any concerns about the issues raised by the Mail on Sunday, they are encouraged to call McCarthy & Stone’s resales team on 0800 508 8370.
For more information:
Andrew Baud, Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org, 020 3397 3383 or 07775 715775.