Toffee Apple Sponge
Try an indulgent twist on traditional toffee apples - sugared, spiced and very very nice.
- COOK 15 Minutes
- LEVEL easy
- BATCH Serves 4
- 75g (3oz) unsalted butter
- 100g (3½oz) muscovado sugar
- 50ml double cream
- ¼ sp vanilla extract
- 1 cox apple, cored and thickly sliced
- 2 bramley apples, cored and thickly sliced
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 4 slices madeira cake
- vanilla ice cream, to serve (optional)
- In a medium pan, melt the butter, muscovado sugar, double cream and vanilla extract over a low heat.
- Add the apples and lemon juice, stir, then cook for 3 minutes.
- Turn up the heat and cook for a further 4 minutes, stirring occasionally until the apples have softened and the toffee sauce has thickened.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, toast the cake slices under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly golden.
- Divide the cake slices between 4 bowls and top with the apples and sauce.
- Serve with ice cream, if you like.
Recipe from Tesco Real Food.