Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes recipe
Strawberries and cream make a nice dessert – in a cupcake they’re sublime!
- COOK 18–20 mins
- LEVEL average
- BATCH Serves 12
- 240ml (8fl oz) whole milk
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 eggs
- 260g (9oz) all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅜ tsp xanthan gum
- 250g (8¾oz) caster/granulated sugar
- 70g (2½oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 150g (5¼oz) strawberries, hulled and quartered lengthways
- 200ml (6¾fl oz) double cream
- 2 tbsp icing/confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 12 fresh strawberries, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/ Gas Mark 5.
- In a jug, combine the milk, oil and eggs.
- To a large bowl, or the bowl of a free- standing mixer, add the flour, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, sugar and butter.
- Using a handheld electric whisk, or the free-standing mixer, slowly mix the dry ingredients and butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Continue on a slow speed and add the wet ingredients. Once combined, turn the speed to medium and mix for 3–5 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cases, so they are just under two-thirds full.
- Take 3 or 4 strawberry pieces per cake and push them into the cupcake batter, evenly spaced apart. Ensure they are upright so they won’t sink to the bottom.
- Bake in the oven for 18–20 minutes or until they are risen, golden and spring back when pressed lightly on the top.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before taking the cupcakes from the pan and allowing them to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, whisk together the double cream, icing sugar and cornflour. When the cream has reached soft, fluffy peaks and is just stiff enough to be piped, transfer to a piping bag.
- Pipe luscious swirls of cream atop the cupcakes and, just before serving, garnish with the sliced fresh strawberries. Store in fridge and eat within two days.