Smoky Mushroom Tacos
Enjoy these delightful homemade vegetarian tacos at home. With a healthy filing and so easy and quick to make, it's a recipe to try!
- COOK 20 mins
- LEVEL average
- BATCH Serves 4
250ml bottle Texas BBQ sauce
150ml IPA, to make it vegan make it vegan IPA
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
2 x 150g packs Portobello mushrooms, stalks removed
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
8 crunchy taco shells
4 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
handful sliced jalapeños in brine
handful roughly chopped fresh coriander
For the smashed avocado
1 avocado, stoned and peeled
1 lime, juiced
½ red chilli, deseeded and finely diced
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the BBQ sauce and beer. Set aside. Put the onion in a bowl of cold water; leave to soak.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, stalk-side down, and put a second, smaller heavy-based pan on top (make sure it's clean) to flatten them.
- Fry for 2 minutes, then flip the mushrooms, press down again with the smaller pan and fry for 2 minutes more. Season, sprinkle the spices over both sides of the mushrooms and fry for 2 minutes each side with the smaller pan pushed down on top.
- Add the mushrooms to the BBQ beer mix, turning to coat; leave to marinate for 15-20 minutes until cool. Brush a hot griddle pan with oil, then fry the mushrooms until lightly charred.
- Meanwhile, warm the taco shells in the oven for 2 minutes. Mash the avocado with the lime juice, chilli and a pinch of salt.
- Drain the onions. Slice the mushrooms into strips and divide between the tacos. Top with onions, lettuce, jalapeños and coriander.
- Serve with the avocado and a drizzle of BBQ marinade.
Recipe taken from Tesco Real Food