Miso Burgers with Mint and Pomegranate Slaw
If you're looking for a healthy alternative to a burger, look no further with this vegetarian burger. Perfect for a summer BBQ in the sunshine.
- COOK 25 Mins
- LEVEL easy
- BATCH Serves 4
75g Bulghar wheat
1 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic gloves, chopped
2 carrots, coarsely grated
1 large red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp ground corriander
30g pack coriander, stalks and leaves chopped but kept separate
1 lime, zested, ½ juiced, ½ cut into 4 wedges
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained
2 large eggs
2 tbsp white miso paste
For the Slaw
½ small white cabbage, shredded
1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
2 carrots, shredded
1 pomegranate seeds only
2 tbsp chopped mint
1 tbsp cider vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed oil
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7
- Cook the bulghar in a small pan of water for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onions and garlic, stirring, for 5 minutes or until starting to turn golden.
- Add the carrots and chilli, and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 mins until the carrots soften.
- Add the cumin, ground coriander, coriander stalks and lime zest, and stir well.
- Tip the chickpeas into a bowl and crush with a masher or fork, then add the eggs and miso to form a chunky paste.
- Drain the bulghar well and stir into the spicy vegetables. Take off the heat, shape into eight burgers and place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minuters or until firm and starting to turn golden.
- For the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a big bowl with the lime juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve with the burgers and lime wedges for squeezing over.
Recipe taken from BBC Good Food