Asparagus and Cheese Tart
Make the most of Asparagus being in season in May with this very simply, yet delicious, vegetarian tart.
- COOK 40 Mins
- LEVEL easy
- BATCH Serves 6
400g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
1 level tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan
2 large eggs, beaten
284 ml carton single cream
slat and black pepper
For the pastry
50g soft butter
110g plain flour
25g Cheddar cheese, finely grated
a pinch of salt
- You will need a 7½ inch (19 cm) flan tin with fluted edges and a removable base, lightly greased, and a 10 x 12 inch (25.5 x 30 cm) solid baking sheet.
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C. Put the baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- First, make the pastry by rubbing the butter lightly into the flour, then add the cheese and salt, plus enough cold water to make a smooth dough – about a tablespoon.
- Then place the dough in a plastic food bag to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- After that, roll it out and line the tin with it. Be careful to press the dough firmly into the tin. Prick the base all over with a fork, then pre-bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- After, paint the inside of it with a little of the beaten egg (from the filling ingredients) and let it cook in the oven for a further 5 minutes.
To Prepare The Asparagus.
- Take each stalk in both hands and bend and snap off the woody end, then arrange the spears in a steamer and steam over simmering water for 4-5 minutes (just to half-cook them).
- Chop the spears into 1½ inch (4 cm) lengths and arrange them over the base of the pre-baked pastry case.
- Next, beat the eggs together with the cream and grated Cheddar cheese and season with salt and pepper, then pour this mixture over the asparagus.
- Finally, sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Place the tart on the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes – until the centre feels firm and the filling is golden brown and puffy.
Recipe taken from Delia Smith