The Secrets of Downsizing
If you’re considering downsizing, it’s probably something that you’ve given a lot of thought to.
After all, it’s not an easy decision to make. The idea of leaving the family home, that holds lots of memories and emotions, can feel daunting. You might even feel that moving to a smaller property is something of a compromise. However, there are lots of positives that downsizing can bring to your life.
Maintaining a house that is much bigger than you need can often be both a drain on time and financial resources. By downsizing, you can soon reap the rewards of a more manageable home – like being able to finally enjoy that once-in-a-lifetime holiday you’ve dreamed of for so long. With more free time, you could even return to the hobbies you once gave up or even discover new ones.
The peace of mind that comes with moving to a retirement development, where gardens and the exterior are maintained allows you to enjoy a whole new lease of life and can even have a positive effect on your health. Something that homeowners Mr and Mrs Booth have found:
“the maintenance of a larger property was something that we no longer wanted to deal with, and to come here where we have lovely landscaped gardens without the hassle of constant maintenance is a huge relief - we can just sit back and enjoy."
Downsizing can also allow you to continue to be able to maintain your independence. Developments are on public transport routes within easy reach of amenities and our apartments are carefully designed with accessibility in mind, such as ovens and electrical sockets at eye level to reduce the strain of bending down.
Although it may not feel like it to begin with, downsizing can potentially change your life. Worries and concerns for the future are reduced, life is made easier and, because you’re moving into a sociable community, with neighbours close by and help on hand if you need it, the risk of loneliness lessens, especially if you are moving to be nearer to family and friends.
As our homeowner Mr Nicholson explains,
"I feel so much more liberated now that I don't have the constant worry and stress of all the little jobs and work that needed doing to the house. Now it's all done for me and I have the real gift of having my time back to focus on myself and my family."
However, before you make that move to your new home, first you must prepare to pack up your current home. It’s likely that your home will hold precious memories and a lifetime of possessions that will need to be sorted. There are ways to make that move easier with part exchange and smooth move services.
However, here are our five top tips to help get you started when it comes to getting ready to move:
- Don’t rush this. Take time to reminisce over the items that come down from the loft, so the experience becomes a pleasure rather than a chore.
- Many of the pieces of furniture and ornaments you want to get rid of will hold sentimental value to your children and grandchildren, who will be delighted to become their new custodians. Make an occasion of getting loved ones over to choose items they’d like to keep.
- Start with the rooms you use least, because these hold the items it’ll be easiest to let go of. The sooner you see progress, the more motivated you’ll feel when it comes to tackling the rest of the house.
- Furniture you know will be too big for your new home might be of value at auction; your local sale house can provide an idea of its worth. And many charities will pick up larger pieces to re-purpose for others.
- Most of us have a wardrobe or cupboard filled with clothes we simply don’t wear. If you haven’t worn something in the last two years, it’s probably time it went to the charity shop. You can apply the same principal to other belongings.
Because the experience of downsizing can be a worrying and sometimes stressful time, our Smooth Move service is there to ensure that the move to your new McCarthy Stone home goes smoothly, so you can soon enjoy this exciting new chapter of your life.
This helps to make the whole moving process easier for you and helps you feel instantly at home in your new apartment. You couldn’t be in better hands. Leave all the lifting and carrying to us. Our team of specialist removers can help you declutter, pack up your belongings and take them to your new apartment before carefully unpacking them again. We can even hang your pictures and mirrors, put up shelving and do any other small tasks that’ll soon have your new apartment feeling like home.
As well as our free specialist removals service, Smooth Move also offers you:
- £2,500 towards your estate agent fees; and
- £1,000 towards legal fees.
More information about our Smooth Move service can he found here. You can also call us on 0800 153 3809.