Spiced Apple Porridge Recipe
You’ll be ready for anything after a warming bowlful of this delicious and healthy porridge. Did you know oats are jam packed with vitamins, antioxidants and fibre?
Makes 4 portions
- 125g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 50g frozen cranberries
- 0.5 tsp mixed spice
- Sugar to taste
- 50g Porridge oats
500 ml whole milk
- 0.5 tsp Vanilla extract
- Place apples in a pan with 25ml water.
- Cook gently until soft but not completely mushy (be careful, Bramleys break down quite quickly).
- Turn up the heat a little and add the cranberries, mixed spice and sugar.
- To make the porridge tip the oats, sugar and the milk into a separate pan
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 5 mins or so stirring all the time until soft and creamy.
- Top the porridge with the spiced apple mixture (hot or cold)
Chris been working in catering for over 24 years and spent many years alongside Michelin starred chefs. He’s a multi-medal winner in annual Salon Culinaire events and winner of ‘Best in class’ at the ‘Master seafood chefs of Great Britain’ competition in Hotelympia. He says, ‘Pride and authenticity are key to the making of a good chef
Find more recipes and seasonal content below...
A recipe for spicy festive gingerbread cupcakes from our McCarthy Stone Retirement Living Plus chefs..read more
Use up the gorgeous glut of autumn apples with this delicious traditional teatime treat - it can also be made to be gluten and dairy free...read more
Enjoy the health benefits of homemade sauerkraut with Dr. Caroline Gilmartin’s simple how to guide...read more
Swimming in wild waters has seen a surge in popularity in a year when many of us have reconnected with nature...read more
Like this article? Subscribe to receive our weekly newsletter!