Grilled mackerel with beetroot and horseradish recipe
This distinctive stripey firm, nutritious and delicious fish is in season in the summer making it good value too. Packed with omega rich oils, it’s perfect cooked whole on the BBQ – or grill as in this recipe for a tasty and healthy light lunch.
Try this super seasonal summer mackerel recipe
- 2 mackerel fillets (about 300g/11oz)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small beetroot peeled and very thinly sliced
- 100g red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice plus lemon wedges, to serve
- 100g full-fat natural bio yoghurt
- Small pack chives
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- Rub a small amount of oil on the skins of the mackerel. Set aside
- Add the red onions and beetroot to a bowl and drizzle with the lemon juice. Mix the yoghurt and the horse radish
- Put a frying pan on a medium heat or pre heat the grill. Fry skin side down or grill skin side up from 2 - 3 mins.
- Place the onions and beet root on a plate and dress with horseradish cream. Place the sizzling mackerel on the salad and dress with a squeeze of lemon.
Like this recipe?You might like these summer picnic recipes or this roast tomatoes with anchovy and basil recipe. Find more recipes and articles about the McCarthy Stone lifestyle.
Recipe from Chris Ince, Chef Director at Atalian Servest
Chris been working in catering for over 24 years and spent many years alongside Michelin starred chefs. He’s a multi-medal winner in annual Salon Culinaire events and winner of ‘Best in class’ at the ‘Master seafood chefs of Great Britain’ competition in Hotelympia. He says, ‘Pride and authenticity are key to the making of a good chef.’