Evelyn's Scottish Shortbread Recipe
Homeowner Evelyn Currie from Cartwright Court, Malvern shared this moreish melt-in-the-mouth recipe for traditional Scottish shortbread, made with plenty of butter. Perfect dunked into a cup of tea. (With thanks to Duty Manager, Amanda Wiggen.)
- ½ lb (450g) butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 2 cups of plain white flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 160°C Fan.
- Cream the butter and sugar well.
- Remove one tablespoon of flour and replace it with one tablespoon of cornflour.
- Add this to the butter/sugar mixture and mix quickly with your hands until it forms fine crumbs. The mix should hold together when squeezed but fall apart easily.
- Press evenly and firmly into an ungreased tin (9x12 inches/ 23 x30 cm).
- Prick all over with the tines of a fork and bake for 20-30 mins
- Cut into 2 inch /5 cm squares with a sharp knife as soon as you take out of the oven. Allow to cool completely before removing from the tin.
Why not try these recipes for Tony’s cheddar & cranberry savoury shortbread and parmesan & black pepper savoury shortbread or Chris’s vegan gingerbread biscuits. You can find more of our recipes here.
Did you know we do food?
All of our Retirement Living PLUS developments offer an onsite bistro or restaurant, serving high quality, delicious and nutritious meals to our homeowners and their guests. Ideal if you don’t feel like cooking every day. Find your perfect retirement home for sale or rent.